Blog Archive

Friday, September 11, 2026

MP1 - Week 2 - 2026

      WEDNESDAY    9-7-22      A Day: Teacher Intro, Cross the Line, Name Game     


  Monday    9-14-26      A-Day                 

     ANNOUNCEMENTS - YOU ARE ALL DOING GREAT!  

Reminder: How We Start Class

1.  Come in and say hi to Mr. DeGrandis and Mr. Morris.

2.  Get your composition notebook and Chromebook.

3.  Sit down and start your Do Now.

        DO NOW          

No Do Now Today!  Woo hoo!

LEARNING TARGET                    

I can learn more about my classmates and help build a stronger classroom community.

Success Criteria                            

  • I can participate respectfully in the Cross the Line activity.
  • I can learn something new about my classmates.
  • I can learn and use classmates’ names.
  • I can help others feel included and comfortable in our class.


        MINI-LESSON                      




Cross the Line Game Rules

  • Listen carefully to each statement.
  • If the statement is true for you, cross the line.
  • Pause, look around, then return to your spot.
  • You never have to cross if you do not want to.
  • We notice — we do not comment.
  • No laughing at, teasing, or questioning anyone about why they crossed.
  • Respect everyone’s privacy.

Name Game Rules

  • We will go around the room one person at a time.
  • When it is your turn, say your first name.
  • Choose an adjective or describing word that starts with the same letter as your first name.
  • The word should describe something about you, your personality, or something you like.
  • Put the word before your name.

For example:

“I’m John. I like Christmas, so I’m Jingle John.”

More examples:

Funny Fatima
Musical Marcus
Creative Carlos
Kind Kayla

  • Listen carefully when each person speaks.
  • Try to remember as many name combinations as you can.
  • Be positive and respectful—no words that put yourself or someone else down.
  • If you get stuck, the class can help you think of a word.


        PRACTICE TIME                              

1.  Play the Cross-the-Line Game

2.  Play the Name Game


          ASSESSMENT                                  

None



     TUESDAY     9-15-22      B-Day: Snowball Fight, I Wish My Teacher Knew...     


        ANNOUNCEMENTS          

1.  Get out your Chromebook.

2.  Get out a piece of paper and a pen or pencil.

3.  Start the Do Now


        DO NOW                                          

1.  On a piece of paper, write down three interesting facts about yourself.  Make sure it is unique to you. Circle your favorite!

For Example...

     a.  I write children's musicals.

b.  I play classical piano.

c.  I ate a worm once.

2.  Wait for directions on what to do next.

LEARNING TARGET                        

I can learn more about my classmates and share something about myself to help build our classroom community.

        MINI-LESSON                              

How to play Snowball Fight.

Snowball Fight Game Rules

  • Write one fun fact about yourself on a piece of paper.
  • Do not write your name.
  • Crumple the paper into a “snowball.”
  • When Mr. DeGrandis says GO, gently toss the snowballs around the room.
  • Keep all throws below the shoulders.
  • No hard throws, no aiming at faces, and no throwing at anyone who is not participating.
  • When Mr. DeGrandis says STOP, pick up the snowball closest to you.
  • Open it and read the fact silently.
  • Your job is to find the person who wrote it by asking classmates questions.
  • When you find the person, learn their name and one more thing about them.
  • Be respectful, have fun, and help everyone participate.

2.  How to respond to the, "I Wish My Teacher Knew..." question.


        WORK TIME          

Play Snowball Fight.

Complete “I Wish My Teacher Knew…” assignemnt in Google Classroom.

Work on assignemnt 10.0 in Google Classroom while Mr. DeGrandis meets briefly with students one at a time.



          ASSESSMENT          

Turn in assignment 10.0 when you finish!

What is I finish early?

Choose one of the prompts below and write a short response:

  • What is something you have in common with someone in this class?
  • What is one thing you learned about a classmate today?
  • What is something interesting about you that you did not share yet?
  • What is one thing that helps you feel comfortable in a classroom?
  • What is one thing you hope this class is like by the end of the year?

If you finish that, write the name of three classmates you know now and one thing you remember about each person.



     Wednesday     9-16-22      C-Day: I Wish My Teacher Knew... Assignment and Meet with Mr. DeGrandis     


        ANNOUNCEMENTS          

1.  Get your Chromebook.

2. Get you notebook.

3.  Start the Do Now.


        DO NOW                      

What Should a Teacher Know?

Think about students your age in general.

Write down three things a teacher might not know about a student just by looking at them.

For example:

  1. something they are really good at
  2. something that makes school easier or harder
  3. something they care about
  4. something they worry about
  5. something they wish adults understood
  6. something that helps them learn


LEARNING TARGET                            

I can share something about myself that will help my teacher understand and support me.

Success Criteria                            

  • I shared at least one real thing about myself.
  • I explained why that information might be helpful for my teacher to know.
  • I chose a way of responding that works for me.
  • I shared only what I felt comfortable sharing.
  • I participated in a short get-to-know-you conference with Mr. DeGrandis.

  •       MINI-LESSON          

    Why Does This Matter?

    Teachers only see a small part of who students are.

    Knowing more about you can help me:

    • understand how you learn
    • know when you may need help
    • learn about your strengths and interests
    • understand why something might be difficult
    • avoid making assumptions
    • become a better teacher for you

    There is no “right” thing to share.

    You may share something serious, something simple, or something school-related.

    For example:

    “I wish my teacher knew that I usually need a little time to think before I answer questions out loud.”

    That tells the teacher something useful without requiring you to share something deeply personal.


            WORK TIME          

    1. Go to Asignment 10.0 in Google Classroom.

    2.  If you finish early you check out some of my old school Soundcloud mixes. Let me know what you think!

    3.  I will be calling ech of you up to my desk for our meet-and-greet during this time.  I can't wait to chat with you!

    While You Work

    Mr. DeGrandis will call students over one at a time for a short conference.

    This is not a test.

    We may talk about:

    • your name
    • something you like to do
    • how school is going so far
    • something you are good at
    • a question you have
    • anything you want me to know

    After the conference, return to your writing.


    Before submitting, ask yourself:

    • Did I share something real about myself?
    • Will this help Mr. DeGrandis understand me better?
    • Did I explain enough for him to understand why it matters?
    • Did I only share what I felt comfortable sharing?

    When you are finished, submit your response in Google Classroom.

    EARLY FINISHER?

    Choose one and rspond in your Composition notebook

    • Something I am really good at that school might not always notice is…
    • One thing that helps me feel comfortable in class is…
    • One goal I have for myself this year is…
    • Something I wish adults understood about kids my age is…
    • Something I hope Mr. DeGrandis learns about me this year is…


              ASSESSMENT                          

    Turn in assignment 10.0 by the end of the day.  You will be using it again tomorrow to make revisions and will receive a classwork gade for having it completed.



         THURSDAY     09-17-2026      D Day: Make It Better: Peer Review & Revision     


            ANNOUNCEMENTS          

    1. Grab your Chormebook

    2.  Grab your notebook.

    3.  Start the Do Now

    4.  Did you say hi to Mr. DeGrandis and Mr. Morris?


            DO NOW          

    COPY
    Revision: making changes to improve your writing.

    Answer This...
    What is one reason a writer might revise something they wrote?

    LEARNING TARGET                    

    I can use feedback to make my writing clearer and stronger.

    Success Criteria                    

    By the end of class:

    • I reread my writing.
    • I gave respectful feedback.
    • I used feedback to improve my writing.
    • I made at least one meaningful revision.
    • I submitted a revised version of my assignment.

            MINI-LESSON          

    What Is Peer Review?

    Peer review means another student reads your writing and gives you helpful feedback.

    The goal is not to grade someone.

    The goal is to help the writer make the writing clearer.

    Good feedback is:

    • kind
    • specific
    • helpful

    Helpful Feedback Sounds Like:

    “This part was really clear.”

    “I would like to know more about this.”

    “This sentence confused me a little.”

    “You could add an example here.”

    Remember:

    Feedback is advice. The writer decides what changes to make.

    WATCH THIS VIDEO & LOOK FOR...

  • What does helpful feedback sound like?
  • What should a student do after receiving feedback?


  •         WORK TIME          

    Step 1 — Reread Your Writing

    Open your “I Wish My Teacher Knew…” assignment in Google Classroom.

    Read your response carefully.

    Think:

    • Is my message clear?
    • Did I explain enough?
    • Is there anything I want to add or change?

    Step 2 — Decide What You Want to Share

    Your original response was private.

    You may:

    • share your whole response
    • share only part of it
    • leave out anything personal
    • complete the review by yourself if you do not want to share your writing

    You do not have to explain why you choose not to share something.

    Step 3 — Peer Review

    If you are working with a partner, read only the part your partner is comfortable sharing.

    Give your partner:

    Two Stars and a Wish

    One thing that was clear or strong was...

    Another thing you liked or understood well was...

    💭 One thing the writer could add, explain, or improve is...

    Step 4 — Revise

    Return to your own writing.

    Make at least one meaningful change.

    You might:

    • add a detail
    • add an example
    • explain something more
    • fix a confusing sentence
    • remove something unnecessary
    • improve your beginning
    • improve your ending
    • correct spelling or punctuation



              ASSESSMENT                          

    Attach your new revised verion to assignment 10.0 and change the title to “I Wish My Teacher Knew… Revision” 

    Before you submit, check:

    • ☐ My writing is clear.
    • ☐ I explained my ideas.
    • ☐ I made at least one meaningful revision.
    • ☐ I only shared what I was comfortable sharing.

    Then answer:

    What is one change you made today?

    Why did you make that change?



         FRIDAY     9-18-2026      A Day: Human Bingo: Find Someone Who...     


            ANNOUNCEMENTS          

    Today is a community-building day.

    You will be moving around the room, talking with classmates, and learning more about the people in our class.

    Your goal is simple:

    Talk to people you may not know very well yet.




            DO NOW          

    In your notebook... Title: Who I know Better

    Write the name of one person in this class you know a little better now than you did at the beginning of the week.

    Then write one thing you learned about that person.


    LEARNING TARGETS    

    I can learn more about my classmates by talking with different people in the room.

    Sucess Criteria                        

    By the end of class:

    • I talked with several classmates.
    • I learned something new about at least one person.
    • I used classmates’ names.
    • I participated respectfully and helped others feel included.

          MINI-LESSON          

    How to Play Human Bingo

    You will receive a Find Someone Who... sheet.

    Your job is to move around the room and find classmates who match the statements on your sheet.

    Rules:

    • Talk to the person before writing their name.
    • Try to use a different person for each box.
    • Ask questions politely.
    • Keep moving.
    • Include people you do not normally talk to.
    • Be respectful and help everyone participate.


            WORK TIME          

    Human Bingo

    Move around the room and find someone who:

    • likes the same kind of music as you
    • has a pet
    • likes to draw
    • plays a sport
    • prefers working with a partner
    • can explain what revision means
    • can give an example of helpful feedback
    • has something in common with you
    • is someone you have not talked to very much yet

    Write that person’s name in the correct box.

    Keep going until time is called.


              ASSESSMENT          

    Answer:

    What is one new thing you learned about someone in our class today?

    Then:

    Who is one person you talked to today that you had not talked to very much before?



    No comments:

    Post a Comment